Senior Software Engineer - Systems
At Nokia, we create the technology to connect the world. We develop and deliver the industry’s only end-to-end portfolio of network equipment, software, services and licensing that is available globally. Our customers include communications service providers whose combined networks support 6.1 billion subscriptions, as well as enterprises in the private and public sector that use our network portfolio to increase productivity and enrich lives.
Serving customers in over 100 countries, our research scientists and engineers continue to invent and accelerate new technologies that will increasingly transform the way people, beings and things communicate and connect.
Through our research teams, including the world-renowned Nokia Bell Labs, we are leading the world to adopt end-to-end 5G networks that are faster, more secure and capable of revolutionizing lives, economies and societies. Nokia adheres to the highest ethical business standards as we create technology with social purpose, quality and integrity.
Deepfield is dedicated business line and a part of Nokia’s IP and Optical Networks business group. At Deepfield, we build software-based solutions that cover IP network intelligence, analytics and distributed denial of service (DDoS) security. Using our Deepfield portfolio, our customers can obtain unique, real-time network and services insight that can help them improve their network performance and security, and optimize their customers’ experience for the 5G, cloud and IoT era.
We are engaged in cutting-edge research at the intersection of data science, visualization, and network analytics and, as a result of our work we create, deploy, and maintain the largest global network analytics platform.
Come join us and help advance state-of-the-art network intelligence and analytics.
What We Do at Deepfield
Our customers are internet-focused companies that are fully immersed in the 21st century: our solutions have found their place in the largest networks of today – from service providers (cable and multiple system operators, telecommunications service providers, and cloud providers) to webscale companies and large digital enterprises. There's no shortage of data in these environments; the challenge is in turning all that data into meaningful and actionable information that can be used to drive improved network performance and customer experience, create better strategic business decisions and automate networks and network operations.
The biggest players in the industry are turning to Deepfield for all these answers.
It isn't enough for our products to be intuitive, engaging, and beautifully engineered and designed - they also need to be reliable and scalable.
This is where we need you.
Deepfield Networks is seeking highly-qualified individuals to join our team as Systems Engineers in our Ann Arbor, MI office. As a member of the systems engineering team, you will own major technical objectives that are critical to our success as a business. You will work on complex projects that span multiple teams, helping design and implement systems that are resilient to failure amidst exponential growth. We are constantly evaluating and implementing new technologies to satisfy our objectives. If you’ve been looking for a chance to work with next-generation tools in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, this might be your opportunity. If you enjoy solving puzzles that at first glance seem unsolvable this could be a good fit for you.
Successful candidates will possess expertise in Linux-based operating systems. We are a Python shop using SaltStack for configuration management, AWS for cloud infrastructure, Jenkins for continuous integration, Impala as a query engine and HDFS for storage; familiarity with those technologies will also be helpful. Additionally, past experience in a SRE (Site Reliability Engineer) role or similar position emphasizing the DevOps philosophy would be beneficial.
• Own new solutions from prototyping through deployment
• Automate All the Things
• Work closely with other groups to diagnose, solve, and prevent system problems
• Provide subject matter expertise during design sessions and technical reviews
• Support and foster cross team communication with a focus on resolving issues with a sense of urgency
• Participate in a Pager Duty rotation to support what you build
• Demonstrable expertise with Linux systems
• Experience with one or more configuration management platforms, such as SaltStack, Chef, Puppet, etc.
• Shell scripting and tool building experience; Python a plus
• Familiarity with CI/CD tools like Jenkins
• Interest and/or experience with cloud providers and technologies (AWS and Terraform primarily)
• Networking knowledge (TCP/IP, IPsec, IPv4, IPv6, BGP)
• Understanding of large-scale complex systems from a reliability and scalability perspective
• Familiarity with principles and practices of infrastructure and application monitoring
- The excitement of having immediate impact across a global customer base and some of the most important internet companies
- A group of people that actually enjoys hanging out together! We have frequent company events such as demos, tech talks, outings… oh, and did we mention food?
- The opportunity to apply state-of-the-art technologies to solve interesting and challenging problems
- Innovative teammates with diverse interests and hobbies
- A relaxed, flexible, and fun environment located in the heart of downtown Ann Arbor stocked with plenty of snacks and sunlight
- Opportunity to learn about other cutting-edge technologies and engage in collaboration with diverse set of colleagues all over the world