Who We Are
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. Serving customers in over 100 countries, our research scientists and engineers continue to invent and accelerate new technologies that will increasingly transform the way people and things communicate and connect.
Deepfield is a Nokia owned company that builds the analytic and security solutions that monitor and defend over 90% of internet backbone networks. We produce cutting-edge research at the intersection of data science, visualization, and network analytics, and we create, deploy, and maintain the largest global network analytics platform. Come join us and help advance state-of-the-art network intelligence.
What We Do
At Deepfield, a Nokia owned company, our customers are the internet - from content providers to global network operators. There's no shortage of data in these environments; the challenge is to turn that data into actionable information for everything from strategic business decisions to automated network operation. The biggest players in the industry are turning to Deepfield for answers.
Our UX & Product Design Team Strives to Be:
- Empathetic with our users and stakeholders
- Collaborative in all aspects
- Curious about others’ problems and perspectives
- Easily accessible by those we work with
- Transparent about our goals and progress
While one of the key aspects of our product is the data, the way that data is presented and the workflows we provide play a big role in the ability of our customers to take action. That’s where you come in. You’ll work on a small team helping to create and bring to life the vision that we have for big data. With your strong passion for user experience, we can help clarify information and alleviate the challenges resulting from large amounts of data.
Our ideal candidate is a UX Designer with at least three years of experience designing meaningful user experiences for web products. This candidate should be comfortable working in a technical domain, and has preferably done analytical product design work. We’re looking for someone who can take an idea and run with it, turning it into something useful and beautiful.
What You’ll Do
Because we’re still rapidly expanding, our design team takes much more of a generalist approach than specialist, and we look for designers that are, first and foremost, curious and eager to learn ... Creative problem-solving and ability to apply what you learn to new situations on a daily basis is a must.
Our UX Product Design team members work together closely and as a group are held accountable for these kinds of responsibilities (though this list is not exhaustive):
- Identify user goals and produce user flows to capture steps within their UI interactions
- Brainstorm design concepts, then bring them to life via sketches, wireframes, high-fidelity mockups, and clickable prototypes
- Plan and facilitate usability testing sessions, drawing on research from various areas of the business: analytics, customer insight sessions, tech support, competitive analysis. Synthesize trends in usability feedback and advocate for improvements in our users’ experience
- Present design artifacts to customers and business unit leadership, and gather feedback as appropriate
- Research and share industry trends, competitors, and comparable experiences
- Continuously learn about Internet networks and the evolving problems we’re trying to solve as a company
- Drive and document design standards and patterns across channels and products. Direct the aesthetic appearance of all new features and enhancements on software application, and work to bring the aesthetic appearance of older features in line with our style guide
- Collaborate as appropriate on creating user stories to define development tasks
- Plan work executing against deadlines; finds ways to maximize the efficiency in an agile process
- Work with Project Managers, Product Managers, and Software Engineer team leads to effectively handoff and support feature development
Skill set requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in human-computer interaction or design, or equivalent experience
- Strong portfolio demonstrating excellence in ideation and design
- Strong written and verbal communications
- 3+ years of experience working within agile software environment, preferably in a variety of situations
- Comfortable working with wireframing, prototyping, and other UX software (such as Balsamiq, Adobe Creative Suite, InVision, Sketch)
- Thrive in a fast-paced, quickly evolving, tech start-up environment
- Excited to contribute to a collaborative, dynamic, and diverse team
- Comfortable in an open office environment
- Previous experience designing visualizations and workflows for dealing with large volumes of data
- Familiarity with the mechanics of web applications (HTML / CSS / RESTful APIs)
- Basic understanding of big data concepts
- Familiarity with how to use JIRA
- The excitement of having immediate impact across a global customer base and some of the most important internet companies
- A group of people that actually enjoys hanging out together! We have frequent company events such as demos, tech talks, outings… oh, and did we mention food?
- The opportunity to apply state-of-the-art technologies to solve interesting and challenging problems
- Innovative teammates with diverse interests and hobbies
- A relaxed, flexible, and fun environment located in the heart of downtown Ann Arbor stocked with plenty of snacks and sunlight